By Meredith Camp
In honor of All Hallow’s Eve, I've listed a few horrible truths about hiring in today’s government workspace.
- Many positions go unfilled due to lack of funding or overall hiring freezes.
- Public sector positions pay significantly less than private sector ones, and that gap is widening.
- The perception of the government worker is still very negative, which makes it less desirable for people to go into public service fields.
- Younger generations view many state and federal agencies as outdated and out of touch.
- Sequestration may make it nearly impossible for government contractors to fill in the employment and experience gaps existing in government today.
- Retirements rates are growing exponentially faster than hiring rates.
- Most of the people retiring today are not passing along their career-long knowledge and experience to those entering the workforce or those taking over the vacated positions.
- The vast inefficiencies and redundancies across agencies are astounding and it will take years to change the culture, policies, and procedures to reflect a lean, efficient government.